background

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Slow is the new fast, right?!

Goodness gracious I hope so, cuz man 'o man was my run ssssllllllooooooowwwww on Saturday! Whew! I'm just glad it's over! just log the miles, just log the miles, repeat it with me, just log the miles! Let me just say, the difference between training for a half in the fall/winter and training in the summer is MONUMENTAL - mental being the operative word here, since you HAVE to be mentally unstable to run in this heat - for reals y'all! #truth

But, mentally unstable or not, I laced up and did it. All 10 miles. It wasn't pretty, and I wanted to stop and quit no fewer than 500 times during the whole dreadful event, but I did it. I finished in 1:51 - ouch! That time hurts. This was definitely a humbling run for me. Knocked me right back down to size and bruised my pride a little bit. But then I decided that I was looking at it all wrong and I needed to change my perspective. I GET to run. I CAN run. I AM faster than I was a year ago and I WILL continue to get stronger and faster if I just DON'T GIVE UP! Just like the number on the scale doesn't define you, neither does a bad run. Imperfect Progress. Thank you Lysa TerKeurst, those two simple yet powerful words apply to sooooo many areas of my life and have really helped me to put things in perspective.

Today, I got in my 5 mile run after dropping the kids at MDO. It was already warming up (80 degrees) but it was pretty cloudy and there was an occasional breeze, so that was good. I wanted to attempt a tempo run outside with this 5 miles since I think I am going to skip tomorrows tempo run and just do a light easy run and some weight training. I've only ever done my tempo runs on the treadmill, which makes increase and decreasing your speed and keeping a constant pace easy. I wasn't sure how well I would do with tracking it myself just by looking at my Garmin every 5 seconds, but it wasn't too bad! Here are my splits:

Mile 1 - 9:46
Mile 2 - 9:37
Mile 3 - 9:20
Mile 4 - 9:42
Mile 5 - 10:23

That last mile was pretty brutal. I had to run up a huge hill to get back home - poor planning on my part, otherwise, not to shabby. At one point during mile 3 I looked down and saw an 8 as the first number and decided I'd better slow my roll just bit before I burned myself out!
Now...HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS! WOOT WOOT!

 
Can I just tell you how excited I am that football season is here! Ahh, now if I could just pull out my leggings, boots, tunics and scarves, I would be one happy girl! And let us not forget the ultimate goal for this week...
 
 
I just feel like I am in such a better mood during football season!
 
What about you? Do you yearn for football season too? What teams are you rooting for?
 
Have a great week! I'll leave you with a pic of these two cuties!
 
 
-Candice

2 comments:

  1. I love me some OSU cowboys! That probably means we can't be blogging friends anymore! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finishing the miles is the most important thing! I just finished reading a Jeff Galloway book about running and the best thing I learned was that the hotter it is outside the slower you should run and not beat yourself up for it. It's still 100 degrees where I live and I keep telling myself my pace can only improve as it cools down!

    ReplyDelete