background

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

New Year, New Goals

I'm all for people making New Year's Resolutions, but I always find that I set myself up for disappointment when I do that, because I inevitably fall short of the resolutions I set for myself. Does this happen to you??
For instance, I have had floss everyday on my resolution list for the last 10 or so years. Have I ever once flossed everyday for a year? That'd be a big fat NO! Do I floss for a week straight before a dentist appointment? You betcha! So, a few years ago, while sitting in our ABF (adult bible fellowship), our group leader suggested choosing a word for the year instead. I really loved this idea and adopted it for myself (interesting choice of words, eh?) So, what is my word this year you ask??? Well, I couldn't decide on just one, so I picked two! Surrender and Intentional.


I chose Surrender because that's exactly what I need to remind myself to do in all situations.
Everyday. Surrender my control. Surrender my fears. Surrender my worry. Surrender it all to Him and let him to do His work in my life.


I chose Intentional, because I often find myself not being the parent or the wife that I know I should be.
I need to be more Intentional with the time I spend with them. For me, that means, less yelling at my kids, spend quality time with them. Try to see the wonder and the world through their eyes. Laugh more. Be more intentional about teaching them about the word and living out the gospel through my actions and more importantly reactions (I struggle with this one). Be more Intentional about the words I use, cause these guys are sponges I tell ya! Be more Intentional about the time I spend with the hubs (ie: read the bible together, pray together, spend time in conversation rather than Homeland and Mad Men). Be more intimate with the hubs. (sorry for the tmi. sorry I'm not sorry)


So yeah. There you have it. Those our my words of the year! Aside from my WOTY, I also try to set a few goals for myself:


-Run a marathon

-Get out of debt once and for all (Thank you Dace Ramsey)
-Take my medication as directed, everyday (I am SOOOO bad about this, seriously it's embarrassing! But in my defense, it's a lot of medication!)
-Read the bible (like the whole thing, can't tell you how many times I have started this task! Let's just say I have read Genesis ALOT)


And of course, there is always the usual, eat better, work out more, yada yada yada. I left off: grow our family, because we are not clear yet if that is what God has in store for us, we hope it is, but we will just continue to listen and follow where the Lord leads us.


My half marathon is in a week and half!!Well, 10 days, 22 minutes, and 22, 21 20 seconds (you get the idea). I was worried at first that I might not be ready for it, and I'm not yet at the pace I was before my injury, but I'm getting there! I am proud of myself for getting every single run in since December 20th! Over the weekend, I had a 12 miler on tap, and was able to get it done in 2 hours 3 minutes (about a 10:15 min/mile pace), so if I keep that up, I am set to PR in this half! I'm pretty pumped about that. If you also take into account that the 3M half is almost entirely downhill (holla), then there is no doubt that I should PR (double holla!). I was finally able to break through the 10 min/mile pace yesterday in my 4 mile run! 9:50 pace yo! I am slowly but surely getting my pace back to where it was. I have my longest run ever scheduled for this Saturday... 18 miles baby! I'm a little nervous about it, but I know that it is supposed to be a be-you-ti-ful day, so that makes me feel a little better about it.


Let's see what else... oh yeah, we moved over the weekend, so that was fun, said no one ever.
I really loathe moving, especially since I know we are going to have to do it all again in a year or so - ugh, gag me! Anyway, at least we aren't moving on my birthday. What? It's almost your birthday you say? Yessir! I'll be turning the big double 3 on Friday, which I will likely not remember until I am almost 34 - that's the way getting older go, take note youngins!
I literally have to do math to figure out how old I am sometimes. But, at least I still get carded sometimes, so I have that going for me :)


So yeah, that's what's been going on around here lately. Oh and an awesome Adoption Fundraising opportunity which deserves it's own post, so be on the lookout for that today too!  For now, we are off to the gym for some 400 yard sprints and a little mommy sanity break (don't act like you don't know exactly what I'm talking about!)


I hope you all have an awesome hump day!


-Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment